Alberto Contador says he may appeal ban but won't retire
Alberto Contador says he is considering an appeal of the two-year ban he received Monday for testing positive for a banned substance. One thing the Spanish cyclist is not considering, however, is retirement.
At a news conference in Madrid on Tuesday, Contador reiterated that he is innocent and that he "totally disagreed" with the decision that stripped him of his 2010 Tour de France title by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
He vowed to continue with his cycling career, even though he had previously hinted that he might quit the sport if he were banned.
“If this is not resolved favorably and in just fashion, then I would have to consider whether I would ever get back on a bike,” Contador said in 2010.
He has claimed that he tested positive for clenbuterol during the 2010 Tour because he ate contaminated meat, a notion that was shot down by the CAS.
The three-time Tour champion said Tuesday that his lawyers are looking into whether an appeal is a good idea. If the ruling stands, Contador will be able to start competing again Aug. 6 because the sports court backdated its ban.
-- Chuck Schilken
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Photo: Alberto Contador attends a news conference in Madrid on Tuesday. Credit: Alberto Martin / EPA