Report: Floyd Mayweather Jr. accepts plea deal
Unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. will reportedly accept a plea bargain to avoid a felony conviction for his alleged role in a 2010 domestic violence episode involving the mother of three of his children, and the children, the Las Vegas Review-Journal is reporting on its website Tuesday.
Efforts to reach Mayweather and his representatives were immediately unsuccessful Tuesday afternoon, but the report said Clark County (Nev.) District Attorney David Roger told the newspaper that the boxer on Wednesday morning will plead guilty to one count of battery domestic violence and two counts of harassment, all misdemeanors.
Mayweather, 34, is subject to $3,000 in fines and a jail sentence ranging from two days to 18 months, the newspaper reported.
Mayweather, who in September scored a technical knockout of Ventura's Victor Ortiz in the fourth round to improve to 42-0, originally faced multiple felonies for his alleged attack of girlfriend Josie Harris, and his treatment of the children after reportedly learning Harris was dating another man in September 2010.
"Where's the bruises?" Mayweather said when questioned about the incident before the Ortiz fight. "Where's the pictures?"
The nearing conclusion of the criminal case helps promoters move forward with plans to stage a fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao next year.
Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum told The Times the case has been an elephant in the room because of the uncertainty of when Mayweather would go to trial, and how much time he could receive if convicted. Arum still cautions, "I have no idea what's going to happen. We'll see tomorrow. So let's wait until tomorrow."
Arum said the fight could possibly take place in June and added that he's pursuing the idea of building a 45,000-seat venue on the Las Vegas Strip near the Wynn and Venetian properties. Arum said the additional time will assist the construction schedule, even though Mayweather's advisor previously said he has cleared May 5 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas for a date against the "little man" Pacquiao.
"That's Cinco de Mayo, and too early," said Arum, who said no talks are occuring during this portion of the holiday break. "The last time I looked neither of these guys was Hispanic."
Photo: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Credit: Jeff Scheid / Associated Press.