Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Baron Davis will be sidelined for first several weeks with Knicks

December 19, 2011 |  1:29 pm

Davis_640

Baron Davis officially joined the New York Knicks' roster on Monday. But just when exactly he will be able to join his new teammates on the floor is up in the air.

The former member of the UCLA Bruins and Clippers signed a free-agent contract with the Knicks on Monday, then was introduced at a news conference at the Madison Square Garden Training Center.

The 13-year veteran Davis told reporters that a herniated disk in his back could keep him off the court for eight to 10 weeks, although ESPNNewYork.com is reporting that a source close to Davis says his return could come in four to six weeks "if not sooner."

Davis said: "For me, it's taking it one day at a time and ... getting as close as I possibly can to practicing as soon as I possibly can."

Toney Douglas is currently slated as the Knicks' starting point guard, with Mike Bibby serving as his backup.

After averaging nearly 20 points a game in four seasons with the Golden State Warriors, Davis only mustered 14.4 a game in more than two NBA seasons in L.A., where he was notoriously heckled by Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

Davis was traded last season to the Cleveland Cavaliers, who waived him last week. His deal with the Knicks is for one year and is worth $2.5 million, according to SI.com.

ALSO:

Gilbert Arenas a bad fit for the Lakers

The mixed messages of Metta World Peace

With Baron Davis off the market, focus shifts to Gilbert Arenas

-- Chuck Schilken

Photo: Baron Davis. Credit: Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video