NBA players re-file antitrust case; still no contact with the league
Lawyers for NBA owners and players have not spoken since last week, players' attorney David Boies said Monday at a press conference in New York.
“If the league's approach is to ignore the litigation...and hope it goes away...I don't think that's in our interest and it's certainly not in their interest or the fans' interest,” Boies said.
A week ago NBA players essentially dissolved their union to clear the way for antitrust suits to be filed after labor talks collapsed.
A group of players, including All-Stars Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant, filed an antitrust lawsuit in Northern California against the NBA while another group of players, led by Caron Butler, filed a similar lawsuit in Minnesota.
“They were basically the same substantive complaint,” Boies said, adding that filing only one lawsuit “should permit us to expedite the case.”
In a statement, the NBA criticized Boies' actions.
“This is consistent with Mr. Boies' inappropriate shopping for a forum that he can only hope will be friendlier to his baseless legal claims,” said NBA attorney Rick Buchanan.
Boies said he hoped to hear from the NBA's attorneys in early December.
-- Mike Bresnahan
Photo: Lakers point guard Derek Fisher, president of the NBA players' union, speaks to reporters in New York on Nov. 14. Credit: Patrick McDermott / Getty Images