IndyCar Series removes controversial race steward
The Izod IndyCar Series shuffled top management Wednesday, including removing controversial Brian Barnhart as director of race operations.
In announcing the changes, IndyCar Chief Executive Randy Bernard said the series was reviewing candidates to replace Barnhart as race director but that Barnhart would remain at IndyCar as president of operations. He previously held both positions.
Bernard also said Terry Angstadt resigned as IndyCar's commercial division president and was succeeded by Marc Koretzky. The position oversees sales, business planning, marketing and public relations.
Barnhart repeatedly came under fire by some drivers, crew chiefs and team owners this season for his oversight of IndyCar's races. Critics complained he was inconsistent in levying penalties for drivers' improper moves on the track and showed poor judgment in how some races were restarted after caution periods.
Perhaps the most glaring example was the Aug. 14 race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, when the race was restarted while the track was still wet from rain.
A multi-car accident immediately ensued, collecting championship contender Will Power of Penske Racing and Danica Patrick, among others. As a furious Power walked back to the garage, he was caught on camera showing his displeasure with Barnhart and others in race control:
Koretzky previously had been IndyCar's director of corporate business development. Barnhart has been with IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since 1994.
-- Jim Peltz