Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

UFC gives Nick Diaz a fight against B.J. Penn

Photo: Nick Diaz. Credit: Tom Casino / Strikeforce.   

Nick Diaz has avoided being cut by the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and has even earned a spot on the Oct. 29 pay-per-view card, albeit a non-title shot against former two-division champion B.J. Penn, the organization announced Friday.

Stockton's Diaz, the Strikeforce welterweight champion, was scratched from the main event versus UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre earlier this week after failing to show up for news conferences in Canada and Las Vegas.

Diaz later posted a video referring to a news conference as "a beauty pageant."

UFC President Dana White said he was mulling terminating the contract of Diaz for the  actions, but instead opted to give him the fight against Penn.

Penn was supposed to fight Carlos Condit, who now gets the shot at St-Pierre.

White, in a text message to The Times on Friday, described Diaz's pay cut as "HUGE," and added, "Hard to keep up with the soap opera, 'As the octagon turns.' " 

MORE:

Nick Diaz says smoking marijuana is part of his plan

Nick Diaz out, Carlos Condit in for UFC 137 main event

-- Lance Pugmire

Photo: Nick Diaz. Credit: Tom Casino / Strikeforce.

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: