Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Pablo Cano replaces Lucas Matthysse as Erik Morales' opponent Sept. 17

Erik-morales_200 Unbeaten Mexico City fighter Pablo Cano will fill the void left by the ailing Lucas Matthysse as Erik Morales' opponent on Sept. 17 at the MGM Grand, Golden Boy Promotions announced Friday.

The bout will be the primary undercard fight before the WBC welterweight title fight pitting Ventura's Victor Ortiz against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Morales-Cano will be for the WBC junior-welterweight title.

The 21-year-old Cano (22-0, 17 KOs) is the highest available ranked boxer to challenge Morales, said Richard Schaefer, Golden Boy's chief executive.

"He's an all-action fighter, and with Marco Antonio Barrera's former trainer Rudy Perez training (Cano), it's another Mexico City-Tijuana battle for Morales," Schaefer said.

Matthysse, from Argentina, withdrew from the bout earlier this week with a viral infection that Schaefer said required hospitalization.

Cano fought last month on a Mexican television card.

MORE:

Video: Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather Jr. and more

Manny Pacquiao intends payback against Juan Manuel Marquez

Question-and-answer session with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

--Lance Pugmire

Photo: Erik Morales during a fight promotion in August. Credit: Lucy Nicholson / Reuters

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: