Family of Kings scout Mark Bavis settles Sept. 11 suit
The family of Mark Bavis, one of two Kings scouts killed in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, settled its lawsuit against United Airlines and the company in charge of security at Boston’s Logan Airport, where the Los Angeles-bound flight originated.
Bavis (pictured at right) and fellow scout Ace Bailey were traveling to the Kings' training camp aboard United Flight 175 when highjackers took control of the plane and crashed it into the World Trade Center. The suit was the last wrongful death suit filed in New York related to the attacks. It had been scheduled to go to trial on Nov. 7.
Bavis’ brother, Mike, had recently said the family was determined to see the suit through. However, the family’s lawyer, Donald Migliori, told the Associated Press that Bavis’ mother, Mary, decided to settle after learning there would be a three-week limit for the trial and the family would be facing other legal restrictions.
Huntleigh Security USA, a security contractor for United, had also been named in the suit.
Photo credit: Associated Press