Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem set for Dec. 30

Brock3
Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC octagon in a five-round main event Dec. 30 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, facing newly signed former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

"Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup," Overeem told The Times on Tuesday, just after signing a standard UFC fight contract in the office of Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta. "Brock's a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.

"I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I'm a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course."

The 6-foot-5, 260-pound Overeem, 31, is a former K-1 kickboxing champion too, He most recently defended his Strikeforce belt in June with a unanimous decision over takedown specialist Fabrio Werdum, who had previously defeated Fedor Emelianenko.

Lesnar has been out of action since losing his UFC heavyweight belt to Cain Velasquez in October at Anaheim's Honda Center, suffering a return episode of the intestinal ailment diverticulitis.

The Dec. 30 winner will be first in line to fight the winner of a Nov. 12 fight between Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

"This is the fight the fans want," UFC President Dana White said. "Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?"

Fertitta said the Strikeforce belt won't be part of the promotion. The UFC has purchased Strikeforce.

"Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want," Fertitta said. "Obviously, Alistair's one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that 'it' factor -- the tremendous look, he's huge. It's a star factor."

Overeem said he's exploring setting up training headquarters in Los Angeles.

ALSO:

Bill Plaschke: Jim Tressel's suspension a good move by NFL

USC tailback Marc Tyler will play against Utah

U.S. Open day and night sessions canceled

-- Lance Pugmire

Photo: Brock Lesnar, top, pummels Frank Mir during a match at UFC 81 in February 2008. Credit: Ronda Churchill / Associated Press

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: