X Games: Ten move on to Skateboard Park final
Another 10 competitors at X Games 17 have seen their competition end early. The elimination round of Skateboard Park trimmed the field of 20 by half.
1. Ben Hatchell, 78.00
2. Kevin Kowalski, 77.00 (the bronze medalist in this event last year)
3. Pedro Barros, 76.00 (the gold medalist in this event last year)
4. Raven Tershy, 71.00 (a Santa Cruz native)
5. Ben Raybourn, 68.00
6. Omar Hassan, 65.00 (a Costa Mesa native)
7. Andy Macdonald, 64.00 (the silver medalist in this event last year and a San Diego native)
8. Rune Gilfberg, 62.00
9. Aaron Homoki, 55.00
10. Andrew Langi, 54.00
The 20 riders were broken up into groups of five. Each group of five had a 15-minute jam session in which each rider went around the transition-based concrete and wood-hybrid course and tried to pull off as many tricks as he could in a 40-second maximum run time.
The riders were judged on execution of maneuvers, degree of difficulty, variety, continuity of run, originality and style, amplitude and use of the course. The top two scores per rider are the ones that counted.
-- Douglas Farmer