Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Stanley Cup finals Game 7: Boston 3, Vancouver 0 after two periods

June 15, 2011 |  7:12 pm

The Bruins broke things open in the second period by scoring twice, the second time while shorthanded. It got so quiet in Rogers Arena you could hear the Stanley Cup being polished — and not for presentation to the Canucks.

Despite having led the NHL in goals scored during the regular season the Canucks couldn’t get anything going against the Bruins and Tim Thomas. And goaltender Roberto Luongo undermined their feeble efforts with a flat-footed effort on the third goal and no inspirational saves that might have boosted his team’s spirits.

The Bruins didn’t get a shot in the second period until more than seven minutes had passed, but they made their shots count. After taking a pass from 43-year-old Mark Recchi — who might be playing in the final game of his distinguished NHL career — Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg took a long slap shot that Luongo saved with his chest. But Luongo couldn’t control the rebound and Brad Marchand pounced on it, controlled it and took a wraparound shot that eluded Luongo at 12:13.

Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara was serving the game’s first penalty—for interference, called at 16:07—when the Bruins scored again. Patrice Bergeron broke in alone on Luongo and was impeded by Vancouver defenseman Christian Ehrhoff. The referee raised his hand to signal a penalty, but the puck slid into the net at 17:35. The play was reviewed and the goal stood, a stunning blow to a team that was being outscored, 22-8, in the Cup finals.

Check back for more at


Photos: Game 7: Vancouver vs. Boston

Boston leads Vancouver, 1-0, after first period

-- Helene Elliott in Vancouver, Canada

Photo: Boston forward Brad Marchand, left, scores on Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo during the second period of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals on Wednesday. Credit: Jason O. Watson / U.S. Presswire