Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Stanley Cup finals Game 6: Bruins 4, Canucks 0 after one period

June 13, 2011 |  6:43 pm


The Bruins set a record for the fastest four goals by one team in a Stanley Cup finals game, setting the record in a span of 4 minutes and 14 seconds in Game 6 tonight at TD Garden in Boston. That eclipsed the previous mark of 5:29, set by the Montreal Canadiens against the Detroit Red Wings on March 31, 1956.

The tone for the Canucks was somber from the first minute, when a hit by Boston defenseman Johnny Boychuk sent Vancouver winger Mason Raymond awkwardly into the boards. Raymond was bent over and facing the boards when Boychuck shoved him and fell awkwardly, causing a stoppage 20 seconds in. He was slow to get up and needed help to leave the ice.

The Bruins announced early in the second period that he had been taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of an undisclosed injury.

Vancouver goaltender Roberto Luongo, so busy analyzing goaltending styles the other day, probably should have paid more attention to his own performance than to the work of Boston's Tim Thomas. Luongo looked bad on the Bruins’ first two goals and was replaced by Cory Schneider after the third, a power-play goal.

Brad Marchand got the rampage going at 5:31, firing a shot into the upper-right corner of the net from the right circle. A nifty behind-the-back pass by Rich Peverley set up Milan Lucic to shoot a rolling puck past Luongo from the right circle at 6:06.

Boston scored again while Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler was serving a boarding penalty. Andrew Ference was credited with the goal, which appeared to deflect before it eluded Luongo.

Schneider replaced Luongo after that goal, at 8:35, on Boston's eighth shot. But he didn’t have much better luck. He was beaten at 9:45 by Michael Ryder’s redirection of a shot by Tomas Kaberle.

Check back for more at

--Helene Elliott, in Boston

Photo: Bruins left wing Mark Recchi, left, celebrates a first-period goal by Andrew Ference against Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff . Credit: Elise Amendola / Associated Press