Marquez accepts terms for Pacquiao fight, Golden Boy to respond
Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said Tuesday that Juan Manuel Marquez has accepted a revised offer to fight Pacquiao in November. The hitch is that Marquez's promoter, Golden Boy, has the opoortunity to match the deal, and its chief executive says he plans to.
Golden Boy Chairman Richard Schaefer told The Times on Tuesday that it's his understanding Marquez has agreed to a Pacquiao fight at a lowered welterweight catch weight of 144 pounds, with $5 million guaranteed in what would be a third meeting between the fighters.
Pacquiao and Marquez battled to a 2004 draw, and Pacquiao won a split-decision in 2008.
Yet, through the end of this year, Golden Boy has the contractual ability to match any financial deal Marquez, the world lightweight champion, is offered. Schaefer said he has a date reserved for a boxing card on Sept. 17 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. One possibility is that Marquez would fight on that date against new world welterweight champion Victor Ortiz of Oxnard.
Ortiz has previously fought at 140 pounds, so he could fight at 144, too, Schaefer said.
Regarding the finances, Schaefer said he was confident Golden Boy could secure a $5-million payday for Marquez, saying, "I'm sure HBO would be on board," in helping to put the bout together.
Schaefer said there's a possibility newly crowned world super-welterweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez could stage a title defense on the Sept. 17 card.
-- Lance Pugmire
Photo: Juan Manuel Marquez. Credit: Steve Marcus / Reuters