Death of Rangers' Derek Boogaard caused by mix of alcohol, oxycodone, officials say
The death of Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was determined to be accidental and caused by a lethal mixing of alcohol and oxycodone, according to a Hennepin County Medical Examiner report released Friday.
Oxycodone is a powerful and potentially addictive painkiller that has previously been identified in some overdose deaths.
The 28-year-old Boogaard was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment by two of his brothers last Friday, five months after he suffered a season-ending concussion on Dec. 9, at least his fourth.
Boogaard's brain will be examined for signs of a degenerative disease caused by blows to the head, his agent and a spokeswoman for the Boston University School of Medicine said earlier this week.
The 6-foot-7, 265-pound enforcer was known as "The Boogeyman" and became a fan favorite while playing with the Minnesota Wild from 2005-10. He had agreed to a $6.5-million, four-year deal with the Rangers last July and appeared in 22 games this season.
-- Melissa Rohlin
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Photo: Derek Boogaard. Credit: Matt Slocum / Associated Press.