Sacramento mayor meets with NBA officials
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson told the head of the NBA's relocation committee that he's secured $9.2 million in corporate commitment for suites, season tickets and other support to be determined in the city's ongoing effort to keep the Sacramento Kings in town.
Johnson met with relocation committee chairman Clay Bennett, owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and an NBA attorney Thursday in sessions that included regional business leaders, but not Los Angeles billionaire Ron Burkle.
Last week, Burkle's group expressed interest to invest in an NBA team in Sacramento and to help build a new arena in town.
The NBA Board of Governors then agreed to extend the Kings' deadline to apply for relocation to Anaheim's Honda Center from Monday until May 2 to let Bennett conduct "fact-finding" visits to Sacramento and Anaheim.
Bennett also met with an arena builder in Sacramento to assess the "feasibility study" that's in progress.
"At the end of the day, we want our commitment and passion to be palpable," mayor spokesman Joaquin McPeek said. "Sacramento put its best foot forward today."
The Board of Governors can approve the request to move by owners Joe and Gavin Maloof by a simple majority.
-- Lance Pugmire
Photo: Kevin Johnson. Credit: Rich Pedroncelli / Associated Press.