Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Lawrence Taylor designated a low-risk sex offender

Taylor_250 NFL Hall of Fame member Lawrence Taylor was determined to be a low-risk sex offender Tuesday by a New York judge.

Prosecutors had argued for a level 2 designation, but Rockland County Court Judge William Kelly gave Taylor the lower level 1 designation, saying the former New York Giants star was not targeting children and is unlikely to commit the same crime again.

As a result of the decision, Taylor's photo will not appear on the online registry of sexual offenders.

Taylor, who was not present at Tuesday's hearing, was sentenced last month to six years' probation after pleading guilty to sexual misconduct and patronizing an underage prostitute. The girl was 16 at the time, but Taylor has said she told him she was 19.

ALSO:

NFL owners, players ordered back to mediation

Tom Zbikowski still gets his hits in, despite NFL lockout

-- Chuck Schilken

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo: Lawrence Taylor arrives at the Bergen County courthouse in Hackensack, N.J., on March 4. Credit: Mel Evans / Associated Press

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: