Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

What was the Kings' 'Miracle on Manchester'? Way better than the Sharks' comeback, that's what. [Video]

April 20, 2011 |  2:29 pm

So much is being said about the Sharks' comeback against the Kings on Tuesday night to win Game 3 of their playoff series in overtime. Comparisons are being drawn to the "Miracle on Manchester," Game 3 of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs on April 10, 1982.

Nothing comes close to that comeback, not even the Sharks' victory Tuesday night in which they were down 3-0 after the first period and rallied in the second period to take the game to overtime, tied at 5-5. Neither the Kings nor the Sharks managed to score in the third period.

That 1982 game was, oh, so different. The Kings trailed the Wayne-Gretzky-led Edmonton Oilers 5-0 after two periods. Imagine being down 5-0 to the powerful Oilers with only one period left to play -- not two. Against Gretzky no less!

Yet the Kings went on to win in overtime, 6-5. Rookie Darryl Evans (now the color analyst on the Kings' radio broadcasts) had the winning goal. And they did it against All-Star goalie Grant Fuhr, who is now in the Hockey Hall of Fame. The Kings goaltender was Mario Lessard. And not even Jerry Buss, who then owned the Kings, thought his team would be making history. He left in the third period when the score was 5-1. Center Steve Bozek, another Kings rookie, tied the score with five seconds left in regulation.

This game remains the greatest playoff comeback in the history of the NHL. Nothing comes close and the Kings went on to win the best-of-five series.

So maybe the Sharks need to pay a little more respect to NHL history and not equate what happened Tuesday night at Staples Center with what happened 29 years ago at the Forum. It isn't even close.


Slumping Dustin Penner 'waiting for that dam to break'

Anze Kopitar to go along for the ride for Game 5

-- Debbie Goffa