Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Shane Mosley and promoter on outs, but he may be in with Manny Pacquiao

Shane Mosley said he'd received a $1,000 check from Golden Boy Promotions representing the interest he'd owned in Oscar De La Hoya's company, and if he pocketed the money, it'd likely legally seal the split between the 39-year-old Pomona fighter and his onetime rival.

De La Hoya has said it's been a "slap in the face" to have Mosley negotiate independently with an advisor to land an April 16 fight against boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.

Golden Boy would prefer that Pacquiao fight Juan Manuel Marquez in April, but Mosley reached out to Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum early last month before Marquez fought Nov. 27 and made an appealing presentation to the veteran promoter.

Arum and Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz have said Mosley is the front-runner to land the next bout against the Filipino superstar, pending Pacquiao's review of term sheets from Mosley, Marquez and world welterweight champion Andre Berto during his 32nd birthday celebration Dec. 17.

"I think they've made their decision already and that I'll be hearing from them around Dec. 18," Mosley said. "I'm a better fight, and I say that starting with the question people ask: If Marquez and Shane fight, who would win? Me. I'm the better puncher and the stronger guy.

"Pacquiao is now a welterweight like me. Marquez is a lightweight. Their bodies have changed since they last fought" in 2008.

Mosley has appeared over the hill in his last two fights, being dominated by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May and lumbering through a draw against Sergio Mora in September.

"They think I'm the easier fight, that's fine with me," Mosley said. "I was supposed to be done before [beating Antonio] Margarito too. I didn't look good against Mayweather or Mora, but Mora was running from me, and Mayweather's the best defensive fighter in the world.

"Pacquiao's a fighter like me; he comes forward. I promise you, I'll hit him on the chin. His defense is not that good. The guys who come at me, I knock out."

Meanwhile, Mosley has the Golden Boy dispute to contend with.

His agreement with the company stipulates he's not allowed to make agreements or participate in other fight promotions, but he contends he has not breached that because he has yet to sign a deal and hasn't fought for anyone else.

"I was trying to get this Pacquiao fight, and I never knew Golden Boy was going to make this big campaign for Marquez," Mosley said. "My intention wasn't to leave Golden Boy, just to make the fight happen. When I got it done, people started going crazy and showing me their true colors. It's made me believe they didn't want me to have the fight in the first place.

"But how is that betrayal? They're making the fight I want. They're not telling me what's going on. I'm not going to just sit here and do nothing. I'm 39.

"So, no, I'm not cashing that check. We'll probably be going to court on that."

-- Lance Pugmire

 

 

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: