Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has high fever, won't make Saturday's fight
Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. awoke Tuesday morning with a 103-degree fever and flu-like symptoms, and he's been scratched from Saturday night's pay-per-view main event at Anaheim's Honda Center against replacement fighter Pawel Wolak, promoter Bob Arum said.
Wolak, who stepped in for injured Alfonso Gomez, will now fight Mexico's Jose Pinzon (18-1-1, 12 KOs), said Arum.
"Things happen," Arum said of Chavez's withdrawal. "These guys are human beings, not supermen."
Arum said the new main event will be former world flyweight champion Nonito Donaire (24-1, 16 KOs) vs. Volodymyr Sydorenko (22-2-2, 7 KOs) in a bantamweight bout.
The card will also include lightweight champion Humberto Soto defending his belt against Maywood's Urbano Antillon.
Chavez Jr. (41-0-1, 30 KOs) has been a strong pay-per-view draw, capitalizing on the name recognition of his legendary boxer father. He's joined the camp of respected trainer Freddie Roach, and was impressive in a victory earlier this year against then-unbeaten John Duddy.
Roach told The Times late Monday night that Chavez was feeling ill but would make the fight. The boxer went to the home of conditioning coach Alex Ariza on Monday night, said Arum, and was given liquids in an effort to treat the flu symptoms, but the high fever Tuesday led to the bout's cancellation.
-- Lance Pugmire
Photo: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Credit: Lucy Nicholson / Reuters