Mark Hardy's attorney: After charge dismissed, former Kings assistant ready to move on with his life
Craig Renetzky, one of Mark Hardy's attorneys, said by phone Tuesday that his client was happy and relieved that the charge against him was dismissed.
"He's very appreciative of the support he's gotten from friends, family and fans," Renetzky said, "and he's really looking forward to moving on with his life."
Hardy has not been working "because he wanted to focus in on the case," Renetzky said. "Now that the case is over, he can get back to hockey."
Hardy, a former Kings defenseman and assistant coach, had been charged in May with felony fourth-degree sexual abuse after a complaint by a family member at a hotel in Washington.
Renetzky said he could not explain the decision by the prosecution in the case. "They reevaluated their case, and they chose not to go forward," he said. "Now, Mark can move forward and be with his family."
He said Hardy, who went through an alcohol treatment program, "is feeling better than ever. I think we'll see a new and improved Mark Hardy.
"I think it's appropriate that the Kings are opening their home season tonight because it's a new season starting for him too."
-- Helene Elliott