Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to fight at Honda Center on Dec. 4

Unbeaten Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will fight Alfonso Gomez in the main event of a boxing card at Anaheim's Honda Center on Dec. 4, promoter Bob Arum told The Times on Friday.

Chavez (41-0-1, 30 knockouts) is coming off a victory by unanimous decision over previously unbeaten John Duddy in a middleweight bout in June.

Arum said a victory over Gomez (22-4-2, 11 KOs), a former entrant on the reality television series "The Contender," would earn Chavez Jr. a shot at world junior-middleweight champion Miguel Cotto. Arum said Cotto, of Puerto Rico, has been off because of surgery on his left shoulder for what Arum described a rotator cuff issue. Cotto will fight again in early 2011, Arum said.

The Anaheim card is also scheduled to include a world lightweight title fight between champion Humberto Soto and challenger Urbano Antillon (28-1, 20 KOs) from Maywood, a bout including unbeaten lightweight Brandon Rios (25-0, 18 KOs) from Oxnard, and a fight between super-flyweight champion Nonito Donaire (24-1, 16 KOs) of the Philippines and Volodymyr Sydorenko.

-- Lance Pugmire

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: