Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Francisco Rodriguez suspended two days by Mets; pitcher, both managers suspended by league after Reds-Cardinals brawl [Updated]

August 12, 2010 |  9:57 am

Krod_300 The Mets have suspended Francisco Rodriguez for two days after the closer was charged with assaulting his father-in-law at Citi Field following Wednesday night's game, the team announced before Thursday's game against Colorado.

According to police, the former Angels standout was arrested, held at the ballpark and charged with third-degree assault Wednesday night. His father-in-law was hospitalized with a scraped face and bump on his head.

A Mets spokesman said Rodriguez has been placed on the restricted list for two days. During that time the pitcher will not be paid and will not be with the team.

[Updated at 2:39 p.m.: Rodriguez was released without bail Thursday after his arraignment on misdemeanor charges of assault and harassment, the Queens County District Attorney's office said in a statement. He could end up spending up to a year in jail.]

In other baseball news, Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto received a seven-game suspension and an undisclosed fine from the league for his role in the first-inning brawl during Tuesday's game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Both managers -- Dusty Baker of the Reds and Tony La Russa of the Cardinals -- were suspended two games and fined undisclosed amounts. Four other players -- second baseman Brandon Phillips and pitcher Russ Springer of the Reds and catcher Yadier Molina and pitcher Chris Carpenter of the Cardinals -- were fined as well.

-- Chuck Schilken

Photo: Francisco Rodriguez celebrates after closing out the game against the Phillies on Saturday. Credit: Howard Smith / US Presswire

Former 100 metres world record holder Asafa Powell withdrew from this week's London Diamond League meeting on Thursday with a back and hamstring strain.

The Jamaican, whose 100m duel with Tyson Gay was to be one of the highlights of the Crystal Palace event, is suffering with the same injury that forced him out of the Stockholm meeting last week.

“I am disappointed that I will not be able to run at the London Grand Prix as I love running in front of the Jamaican fans here,” Powell said in a statement.

“I visited the doctor yesterday and he has advised me not to run in order to help the recovery of my injury. I had hoped it would be better but unfortunately this is not so.”

The withdrawal of Powell, who held the 100 metres world record for three years until it was lowered by Usain Bolt in 2008, is a blow to organisers who had hoped to stage a showdown between Powell, Gay and Olympic and world champion Bolt.

Bolt declined to enter because of tax reasons and has since been ruled out for the season with injury.

Gay's main rival in London will now be fellow American Walter Dix, the Olympic bronze medallist.

The London Diamond League meeting is on Friday and Saturday.
Comments 

Advertisement










Video