Arum: Cotto-Chavez Jr. 'will happen'
Promoter Bob Arum said Friday world junior-middleweight champion Miguel Cotto will defend his belt Dec. 4 against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., with Madison Square Garden strongly positioned to land the bout.
"That fight will happen, we're waiting on terms to be finalized and for the site, but Madison Square Garden is available, and that's great news," Arum said.
Cotto (35-2, 28 KOs) has fought at MSG six times, anchoring Puerto Rican parade weekends. He most recently became the WBA champion by defeating Yuri Foreman at Yankee Stadium in June.
In Chavez Jr. (41-0-1, 30 KOs), Cotto will be facing the son of Mexico's boxing legend, who has united with trainer Freddie Roach and is coming off a decision over previously unbeaten John Duddy.
"It's a guaranteed sellout at MSG," Arum said.
-- Lance Pugmire