World Cup: Landon Donovan goal is considered one of the tournament's top 10
Landon Donovan and his U.S. teammates might long since have returned to their respective clubs or gone on vacation, but the Galaxy forward/midfielder's name is still cropping up in the newspapers in South Africa.
On Sunday in Cape Town, the Sunday Times ran a story listing what one writer considers the top 10 goals scored so far in the World Cup, and Donovan's strike from an acute angle against Slovenia made the cut.
The complete list:
1. Carlos Tevez, Argentina vs. Mexico.
2. Fabio Quagliarella, Italy vs. Slovakia.
3. David Villa, Spain vs. Chile (first goal).
4. Siphiwe Tshabalala, South Africa vs. Mexico.
5. Luis Suarez, Uruguay vs. South Korea (second goal).
6. Mesut Oezil, Germany vs. Ghana.
7. Asamoah Gyan, Ghana vs. U.S.
8. Lukas Podolski, Germany vs. England.
9. Landon Donovan, U.S. vs. Slovenia.
10. Maicon, Brazil vs. North Korea.
--Grahame L. Jones in Cape Town, South Africa