Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

All quiet for now on Kings' side of Kovalchuk situation

July 8, 2010 |  3:38 pm

No movement today regarding Ilya Kovalchuk, who certainly appears to have overplayed his hand if he's still looking for a $10-million annual salary and/or $100-million contract.

Kingslogo A Kings source said Thursday there had been "not a peep" on the Kovalchuk front, but that can change. Probably not today, though, while the LeBron James circus dominates sports coverage.

The always interesting Pierre LeBrun offers his take at ESPN.com on what could happen next from Kovalchuk's point of view.

If you've lost track of this winding, week-old odyssey, the Kings dropped out of contention  Tuesday but were "re-engaged," according to General Manager Dean Lombardi. They got a new proposal from Kovalchuk's side Wednesday but it showed little or no compromise.

Incidentally, for those interested in what's happening with winger Alexander Frolov, who was not offered a contract by the Kings and became an unrestricted free agent, he's still available. His agent, Don Meehan, said he hasn't had any talks with the Kings yet. Maybe the "yet" leaves some wiggle room....


-- Helene Elliott

Comments 

Advertisement










Video