Clipper update: Turning attention to Mike Miller
Repeating and following up on my tweets from the Signal Hill Costco earlier in the afternoon ...
The Clippers didn't waste time following their return from Cleveland, the center of LeBron-mania.
They met with free agent swingman Mike Miller on Saturday at their Playa Vista headquarters, and Clippers General Manager Neil Olshey called it "a first step" regarding Miller.
Earlier in the week, it was reported that the Lakers had offered Miller a five-year deal but an NBA source denied that account to The Times.
The much-traveled Miller has shot 40.5% from three-point range in his career, played in Washington last season and was in Minnesota, Memphis and Orlando before that. There is no shortage of interest in Miller around the league, and other teams said to be looking at him are the Knicks, Miami and Chicago.
It does, however, bode well for the Clippers that Miller took a chunk out of his holiday weekend to meet with Clipper officials. He has a place in the San Fernando Valley area, goes way back with Olshey and is tight with Baron Davis. Then again, who isn't close with Davis?
"He [Miller] lives in L.A.," Olshey said. "We don't need to sell him on L.A. He's played at Staples Center many times, practiced at our facility. There are four good starters [in place] and a gaping hole at the three."
Meanwhile, it is unclear whether the Clippers are going to bring back coaching finalists Vinny Del Negro and Dwane Casey for another round of interviews. They haven't decided to go down that road but if they do, both candidates would come back for Round 2. There had been a school of thought on Friday that just Casey might return. The race is characterized as a dead heat with Del Negro closing the gap after his first in-person interview.
Should all be decided by Summer League (the Clippers' team's first game is July 12), putting the emphasis on the word "should."
-- Lisa Dillman