Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Antonio Margarito seeks one-fight license in Vegas to face Manny Pacquiao

Attorneys for unlicensed boxer Antonio Margarito have filed a three-page letter among a 70-page file of legal briefs urging the Nevada State Athletic Commission to reconsider its decision to table the boxer's request to receive a license to fight in the state.

Tijuana's Margarito is seeking to fight Manny Pacquiao Nov. 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in a 154-pound bout that could give Pacquiao his record eighth world title.

Margarito's license was revoked in February 2009 after he was found to have plaster-hardened inserts inside his hand wraps before he fought Shane Mosley at Staples Center the month before. No U.S. boxing commission has re-licensed Margarito since, and he fought in May in Mexico.

Keith Kizer, executive officer of the Nevada commission, told The Times on Wednesday that he received Margarito's request for a one-fight license Friday, with the fighter's attorney explaining the request is necessary because the California State Athletic Commission is unable to hear a Margarito appeal for license reinstatement at its July 26 hearing in Sacramento.

"Time is of the essence and we cannot wait for the California Commission to decide whether and when it will consider Mr. Margarito's application," attorney David Marroso wrote. "... Substantial arrangements -- including contracts, venue, broadcaster, sponsors, etc. -- need to be finalized immediately."

Kizer said the Nevada panel has a meeting planned for early August, but at this point, no commissioner has suggested that Margarito's request be added to the agenda, because the fighter has still not filed an application for license reinstatement in California. Kizer said the Nevada commission originally tabled Margarito's request on July 9 because it wanted the boxer to appeal to California and get a yes-or-no ruling.

"I reminded [Marroso] we won't hear him until he's filed the letter to California, that the commissioners plan to live up to their word," Kizer said.

During this past weekend, Pacquiao was briefed on the alternatives to his failed-again super-fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. In addition to Margarito, Pacquiao could also fight a rematch against Miguel Cotto, who was beaten by Pacquiao in a 12th-round technical knockout last year.

Promoter Bob Arum said he's also been in negotiations with representatives in Monterrey, Mexico, to stage a Pacquiao-Margarito fight if the bid to gain the Nevada license fails.

-- Lance Pugmire 

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: