Tiger Woods gets back to 'normal' at Quail Hollow
Tiger Woods held a press conference Wednesday and it wasn't that big of a deal.
Unlike Woods' public apology back in February and his pre-Masters press conference earlier this month, there was little hype surrounding Woods' latest appearance before the media, after the pro-am at Quail Hollow on the eve of what will be his second competitive golf tournament since the five-month hiatus he took to deal with a sex-related scandal.
"I have to say, this feels a heck of a lot more normal than the Masters did," Woods said during a 16-minute press conference that actually was not standing room only.
Still, unlike the Masters, tickets to the Quail Hollow Championship were sold to the general public, so questions still remain about the response Woods will receive on the course.
Woods was happy with the reception he received during the pro-am.
"I'll tell you what, the people here have always been very gracious, very excited about this event," said Woods, who received jeers only when he did not give autographs to every fan after the 18th hole. "These fans here really get into the event, and again, with a great field like this, I think it'll be another great week."
Woods is to start Thursday morning with Stewart Cink and Angel Cabrera.
In other Quail Hollow news, Masters champion Phil Mickelson withdrew from the pro-am after the fifth hole due to illness. He still expects to play Thursday.
-- Chuck Schilken
The Associated Press contributed to this report.