Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Galaxy's David Beckham denies report that he's retiring after World Cup

Beckham_250 Not only did David Beckham deny a report that he's planning to retire after the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, but he also said today he was looking forward to leading the Los Angeles Galaxy to another MLS Cup title.

"We were successful last year, but we want to win it, and that is what we will look to do this year," Beckham said today after playing all 90 minutes for AC Milan in a 4-0 victory over Siena in Serie A League play.

The Sun newspaper reported Saturday that the international midfielder, on loan to AC Milan from the Galaxy, would return to England and retire after the World Cup. Not so, says Beckham, who is under contract with L.A. for another 18 months. AC Milan officials also said they'd welcome him back for another campaign in 2011.

"We will have to wait and see," Beckham said of the future. "I will want to be playing top-flight football. I have a year and a half left on my contract [in L.A.], and obviously I am going back there after this, so it won't be a problem."

-- Dan Loumena

Photo: David Beckham gets ready for a free kick during AC Milan's 4-0 victory over Siena on Jan. 17, 2010. Credit: Giuseppe Bellini / Getty Images

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: