Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Erin Andrews' accused stalker pleads not guilty

November 23, 2009 | 11:07 am

Michael The man accused of making nude videos of ESPN reporter Erin Andrews pleaded not guilty to interstate stalking in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles today.

Michael Barrett, an Illinois insurance executive, is free on bail after posting a $100,000 bond last week. U.S. Magistrate Judge Carolyn Turchin said Barrett posed a threat to the public and that his actions were calculated, cunning and secretive.

The 48-year-old is accused of secretly taping Andrews through a peephole after following her to three hotels. He allegedly tried to sell the videos to TMZ.

Barrett's attorney said his client regrets the circumstances leading to the charges. Barrett has no criminal record.

If convicted, Barrett could face up to five years in prison.

-- Austin Knoblauch

Are you on Facebook? Become a fan of the Times' Sports Facebook page and have breaking news sent to your Facebook page.

Photo: Michael Barrett arrives at his arraignment in Los Angeles on Friday. Credit: Reed Saxon / Associated Press

Comments 

Advertisement










Video