Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

« Previous Post | Sports Now Home | Next Post »

Kimbo Slice loses to Roy Nelson, but you haven't seen the last of Kimbo Slice

If you think you’ve seen the last of Kimbo Slice on "The Ultimate Fighter" this season, well, think again.

Kimbo2

Slice's impressive Wednesday night loss on Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter" to Roy "Big Country" Nelson might not have been his final fighting appearance on the show.

An industry source who declined to be identified because of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's sacred protection of the show's previously filmed results said Kimbo's strong performance on Wednesday's "TUF" broadcast left him strongly positioned him to be a replacement for another fighter who couldn't proceed in the tournament.

"TUF" will continue weekly on Spike TV and conclude with a live finale Dec. 5 at The Palms hotel in Las Vegas, with the winner of this season's "Heavyweights" version winning a six-figure, multi-fight UFC contract.

Slice agreed to join the "TUF" cast after his street fights generated millions of hits on YouTube. He moved on to join the now-defunct MMA organization, Elite Xtreme Combat, on CBS, which aired two of his fights on prime-time television.

Earlier this month, UFC President Dana White told The Times that Kimbo will fight again in the UFC whether he wins or loses "TUF."

--Lance Pugmire and Houston Mitchell 

 
Comments  ()

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: