Sources: Kimbo will compete on UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter"
Kimbo Slice has been a missing person since his embarrassing loss in the final Elite XC card last year to Seth Petruzelli, but the former Internet street-fighting sensation is scheduled to appear in public again Tuesday when he's unveiled as a member of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's reality television series, "The Ultimate Fighter" on SPIKE TV.
"Kimbo is confirmed for the show," a UFC source with knowledge of Slice's "TUF" appearances told The Times late Monday, after Yahoo! Sports first reported the story.
Slice will appear in Las Vegas on Tuesday for a media day. Interviews were supposed to be suppressed until July, said sources close to the show, who weren't authorized to speak publicly about the process.
In the past, UFC President Dana White has bashed Slice's talent as a novelty, once even saying, "Kimbo Slice would be the first man killed" in a UFC fight if he ever dared to compete in the top tier of mixed martial arts fighting.
White has extended an invitation for Slice to attempt to "earn" his way to a UFC contract through the "TUF" series, which for its upcoming 10th season will feature UFC coaches Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad "Suga" Evans, both charismatic recent light-heavyweight champions who should make for an entertaining and highly rated season.
Slice charmed mainstream media with his entertaining YouTube street fights that drew millions of hits. He's also worked as a strip-club bouncer. He appeared on a cover of ESPN Magazine, and his Elite XC victory over cauliflowered-ear James Thompson was a well-viewed show on CBS.
Now, he'll have a crack at the UFC in a heavyweight competition.
-- Lance Pugmire
Photo: Kimbo Slice watches the match between Rafael Nadeal and Juan Martin Del Porto in the quarter-final round of the Sony Ericsson Open in April. Credit: Joel Auerbach/US Presswire.