Dodgers in-game notes
MARYVALE, Ariz. -- Claudio Vargas will pitch today in relief, something Manager Joe Torre said he might want him to do during the regular season. If Vargas' move to the bullpen is permanent, James McDonald will likely be the Dodgers' fifth starter.
- Manny Ramirez is starting in left field. He singled on a line drive up the middle in his first at-bat. Of Ramirez playing the outfield, Torre said, "I guess I do have trepidation, but you have to do this at some point."
- Chad Billingsley might or might not throw his scheduled bullpen session on Thursday. Billingsley is experiencing "just a little tightness" in his groin.
- Mark Loretta, who also has a tight groin, will be out for two or three more days.
- Jason Repko (hamstring) is available to play.
- Matt Kemp returned to the camp with new sets of contact lenses.
- Delwyn Young underwent an MRI exam on his irritated elbow. Results were negative.
The Dodgers' lineup today against the Milwaukee Brewers:
Rafael Furcal SS
Orlando Hudson 2B
Manny Ramirez LF
Andre Ethier RF
Russell Martin C
Casey Blake 3B
Doug Mientkiewicz 1B
Juan Pierre CF
Eric Stults LHP
-- Dylan Hernandez
Photo: Dodgers pitcher James McDonald. Credit: Nati Harnik / Associated Press