Dodgers: Thursday pregame notes, Part 2
PHOENIX -- Some highlights from manager Joe Torre's morning Q&A session with reporters:
- Veteran utilityman Doug Mientkiewicz, pictured, who played under Torre in New York in 2007, was signed to a minor-league deal. Mientkiewicz, 34, is expected to report to camp today to take a physical.
- Andre Ethier and Casey Blake sustained minor injuries on Wednesday that could sideline them for a couple of days. Ethier was hit on his heel by a batted ball while warming up in the outfield for the Dodgers' exhibition opener, but he was able to play in the game without any problems. Torre said Ethier's heel didn't start bothering him until today. He stopped his conditioning drills to receive treatment. Blake felt some tightness in his groin while running sprints after he was taken out of the game.
- Jason Schmidt will start the Dodgers' "B" game against the Chicago White Sox on Friday morning at Camelback Ranch.
- Torre said Rafael Furcal and Orlando Hudson would play in the "B" game Friday and not in the game against the Seattle Mariners.
- Russell Martin will be a designated hitter on Friday, probably in the "B" game. He could catch on Saturday when the Dodgers face the Colorado Rockies in Tucson.
-- Dylan Hernandez
Photo: Doug Mientkiewicz reacts after being nearly hit by a pitch during a game between the Kansas City Royals and the Baltimore Orioles on May 14, 2006. Mientkiewicz was using a pink bat to raise breast cancer awareness. Credit: Gail Burton / Associated Press