"Law & Order" creator Dick Wolf is ready to move on.
Wolf expressed disappointment that "Law & Order," the landmark legal/police drama, was canceled after tying the record for the longest-running series in TV history, but said that he is extremely excited about his new spinoff, "Law & Order: Los Angeles."
"Obviously [executive producer Rene Balcer] and I are extremely disappointed that 'Law & Order' isn't returning for a 21st season," Wolf said Friday. "But that's business, that's life. Everyone in TV is born with a death sentence — they just don't tell you the date of executiion."
He also ended the speculation that "Law & Order" might be revived at another network: "'Law & Order' is now in the history books."
He added, "The past is the past, and we're here to talk about the future."
That future is "Law & Order: Los Angeles," the latest spinoff. The series will follow the same formula as the so-called "mothership" of "Law & Order": half police drama, half legal drama.
Oscar nominee Terrence Howard ("Hustle & Flow") will join previously cast Alfred Molina, Skeet Ulrich and Corey Stoll in the drama,. Howard will play a district attorney and will share the position with Molina, who plays a deputy district attorney, in alternate episodes.
Ulrich and Skool will play police detectives.
Wolf, Balcer and executive producer Blake Masters said the series will keep the same title cards and the musical "chink chink" that marks each scene change. Unlike Manhattan, Balcer said Los Angeles is a mosaic: "We'll be able to go into many different communities."
— Greg Braxton
Photo: Executive Producer of "Law & Order: Los Angeles" Dick Wolf talks at the Television Critics Association NBC Universal Press Tour in Los Angeles. Credit: Lucy Nicholson / Reuters
Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by the Los Angeles Times. The Times Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.