What SHOULD Madonna sing at the Super Bowl?
Madonna showed some uncharacteristic humility and nervousness during her Thursday news conference hyping her upcoming Super Bowl halftime show, saying, "I keep pinching myself. I can't believe I'm here."
She also said she's trying to keep some surprises about who will join her during halftime, although Nicki Minaj, who is featured on Madonna's new single, "Give Me All Your Luvin,'" has said she will make an appearance.
"The envelope I'm pushing is to do a spectacular show that I think will entertain all age groups and a feast for the ears and eyes," she said.
Old-school Madonna fans -- those devotees who have been superfans since before her "Truth or Dare" days and have more love for vintage Madonna than for her more recent lackluster duets with Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears -- might have their own wish list of what she should perform. Below is one Madonna fan's fantasy set list that he feels would make a memorable Super Bowl performance.
1. "HOLIDAY" -- A natural "Get on Your Feet" song to kick off the set. [Updated at 4:30 p.m.: An earlier version of this post noted the song title as "Celebrate" and has been corrected.]
2. "OPEN YOUR HEART" -- A bouncy irresistible tune that even contains a relevant sports-flavored lyric "Don't try to run, I can keep up with you!"
3. "HANKY PANKY" from the "Dick Tracy" soundtrack -- This song could appeal to those who want to see a bit of the naughty Madonna. Risque, but still PG-rated ("Nothing like a good spanky").
4. "LIKE A PRAYER" -- Depending on which team is behind at halftime, this could be particularly inspiring.
5. "INTO THE GROOVE" -- A mid-set whirlwind guaranteed to get the crowd on their feet.
6, "THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND" -- Slowing it down with a ballad that has some sport imagery.
7. "DON'T TELL ME"-- Slowly revving it up again with a mid-tempo song that also can utilize choreography from the video where Madonna dances with cowboys. Gotta have something for the country music crowd.
8. "HUNG UP" -- The last great Madonna single. A killer beat flavored with "ABBA" that can also be her departing words to the adoring crowd -- "I'm hung up on you."
What do YOU wish Madonna would sing at the Super Bowl?
Photo: Madonna at the Super Bowl news conference on Thursday. Credit: Matt Slocum/Associated Press