TNT cancels 'Men of a Certain Age'
"Men of a Certain Age" won't make it past 50.
TNT said on Friday it was pulling the plug on the critically acclaimed but low-rated drama starring Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula as three childhood friends caught up in various stages of midlife crisis.
The show, for which earlier this week Braugher was nominated for an Emmy, was never able to appeal to big audience despite the presence of Romano, who previously starred on the CBS hit "Everybody Loves Raymond" and was a co-creator of "Men of a Certain Age."
"This was an extremely difficult decision for us," a TNT spokeswoman said. "While the show has featured great storytelling and impeccable performances, the audience simply hasn’t built to the point where we can continue the series."
Often melancholy with moments of light humor splashed in, critics praised "Men of a Certain Age" for its realistic portrayal of men moving past their prime. The characters on the show dealt with divorce, problem children, dating in middle age, gambling, father-and-son relationships as well as the challenges of running a business.
Romano and co-creator Mike Royce could try to shop "Men of a Certain Age" to another cable network, perhaps one that does not need as big an audience for shows to survive as TNT does. However, the track record of programs moving from network to network is mixed at best.
-- Joe Flint
Photo: "Men of A Certain Age" cast members Scott Bakula, left, Ray Ramano, center, and Andre Braugher pose together at the 70th Annual Peabody Awards. Credit: Evan Agostini / Associated Press