'Two and a Half Men' crew will be paid for 4 episodes, Warner Bros says
The crew of "Two and a Half Men," whose livelihoods had been jeopardized by ongoing issues with star Charlie Sheen, will be paid for four of the eight remaining episodes in the season, Warner Bros. said Tuesday.
Warner Bros. will be footing the bill in compensating the crew members out of work after production of the highly rated sitcom was shut down last month. Paul McGuire, a Warner Bros. spokesman, said the company would not disclose how much this move will cost the company.
Earlier in February, when Sheen was expected to leave in order to undergo rehabilitation, he reportedly offered to pay at least a portion of the crew's wages if Warner Bros. and CBS would split the cost with him. Now McGuire said Sheen was in no way connected with making the decision about compensation or financing it.
The future of the show's staff has been unclear since the decision was made to halt production for the remaining episodes of "Two and a Half Men's" seventh season. It has yet to be determined whether "Two and a Half Men" will return to the airwaves for the fall season.
Although CBS will be losing a schedule staple that was the highest-rated comedy on television, the network's chief executive, Leslie Moonves, said the silver lining is that stopping production would save CBS a considerable sum of money, as reported on our sister blog Company Town.
"Short-term, financially, it is actually a gainer for us," Moonves said Tuesday at an investor conference in San Francisco. "Doing eight less original episodes saves us a lot of money."
-- Rick Rojas
Photo: Charlie Sheen, left, Martin Mull and Jon Cryer on "Two and a Half Men." Credit: Greg Gayne / Warner Bros.