'Deadliest Catch' captains will return to film Discovery's seventh season, after all
Look out, Dutch Harbor, the captains are coming, and "Deadliest Catch" fans, you had a lot to do with it.
The behind-the-scenes drama on the docu-series that follows fishing vessels in the Bering Sea during crab season is over. Even though Discovery announced last week that Capts. Sig Hansen and Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand would not return for the seventh season, the network now is saying that all three men will be part of the high-seas series which begins filming in Dutch Harbor next week.
"We're happy we worked everything out with Discovery," Hansen said in a statement. "A deal's a deal. We're heading up to Dutch Harbor to start filming the new season of 'Deadliest Catch' and hopefully it will be the best one yet."
Hansen had threatened to drop out of the hit series after Discovery sued the Hillstrand brothers for $3 million, claiming they didn't perform their contracted duties on a spinoff, "Hillstranded." The fishermen brothers responded by quitting "Deadliest Catch," and Hansen said he would leave, too, out of solidarity with his friends.
The Hillstrands also issued a statement: “Everyone worked really hard on putting together 'Hillstranded' and we’re looking forward to wrapping that up. It’s something new that we hope people will enjoy.”
In an interview with The Times published Friday, executive producer Thom Beers said that the new season will feature Josh and Jake Harris, the sons of the late Captain Phil Harris, as they continue their work on the Cornelia Marie.
--Maria Elena Fernandez