Show Tracker

What you're watching

« Previous Post | Show Tracker Home | Next Post »

Charlie Sheen denies 'hasty' negotiating ploy in 'Two and a Half Men' talks

April 9, 2010 |  2:35 pm

Charlie_White_0102b

Charlie Sheen wants the world to know he hasn't been "hasty or negligent," at least when it comes to his future on "Two and a Half Men."

In a statement to People published Friday, the troubled star blasted the media for "much speculation and rumor" regarding his status on the CBS sitcom. Sheen's publicist confirmed earlier this month that the star had told friends he wanted to leave the top-rated show, prompting speculation that Team Charlie was engaged in a negotiation ploy. Sheen's contract is up at the end of this season, and the actor was said to want a hefty raise, despite the fact that he's engulfed in a pending criminal trial related to a domestic violence incident involving his wife.

"All of the numbers reported in the press are false," Sheen said in his statement, without offering specifics. Regarding the contract talks, he added: "Both parties have known the score for over a year. In no way has this been a hasty or negligent eleventh-hour surprise." 

Sheen alluded to the fact that the cast is due to wrap filming of the season's final episode Friday night, saying: "If tonight's show is the end for me as Charlie Harper, so be it."

But while Sheen's words dangled the possibility of his exiting the series, they stopped short of saying that he actually would, or of offering any insight beyond what he is said to have told friends about wanting to leave. That's probably strong evidence that talks are ongoing. And given that CBS doesn't announce its fall lineup until the middle of next month, Sheen has plenty of time to mull his options and, if he likes, make more statements.

Spokespersons for CBS and Warner Bros., which makes the series, declined to comment.

-- Scott Collins

Comments 

Advertisement










Video