Show Tracker

What you're watching

« Previous Post | Show Tracker Home | Next Post »

"quarterlife" to help fill NBC's gaps?

November 11, 2007 |  3:35 pm

Wga

Last week, the Hollywood Reporter mentioned the possibility that NBC, rummaging around for now-elusive scripted TV, had become interested in acquiring "quarterlife," the new Web-only show from Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick, the makers of "thirtysomething" and "My So-Called Life." If the rumor is true, "quarterlife's" life cycle so far will be as follows: began in 2004 as "1/4life," an ABC television pilot that was shot but never aired, reconceived and re-shot as a Web-only offering (now showing on MySpace) that's been trumpeted as the first TV-quality show ever to grace the Internet, and finally scavenged by a major network trying to fill holes left by striking shows -- its 36 eight-minute "webisodes" repackaged as six hours of traditional TV.

When asked about the NBC rumor, a representative for Herskovitz did not deny the possibility of a sale, saying, "We have had discussions with various networks. We have consistently said that we welcome the opportunity for the series to be broadcast on a network."

Notably, Herskovitz has railed against what he sees as the creative stranglehold the large media companies have put on show creators -- most recently in this Times Op-Ed -- and has voiced his support for the writers' strike.

At a sneak preview of "quarterlife" at USC on Nov. 1, an audience member asked Herskovitz if he would continue to produce the show during the strike. "I couldn't make this thing non-union," Herskovitz said.

"I'm president of the Producers Guild," he added. "I'm a union man."

Comments 

Advertisement










Video