« Previous Post | Show Tracker Home | Next Post »

Late-night shows still in reruns

Wga_11

The late-nights lights are still out over at NBC Studios in Burbank.

But that hasn't stopped executives with the peacock network from hoping that they might be able to coax their big guns, including Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, to return to their shows in the coming weeks. Last week, the executive producer of "The Tonight Show," Debbie Vickers, said that several options were being explored, including finding a fill-in host for their 11:35 p.m. show.  But Vickers said her preference would be to have Leno back in the driver's seat.

NBC has been airing repeats of "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno,"  "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" and "Last Call With Carson Daly" since members of the Writers Guild of America went on strike Nov. 5.

Separately last week, NBC sent notices to some employees, including the nonwriting staffs of the late-night shows, telling them that they could be laid off as soon as Friday unless production resumed on their programs. The move was seen by some as a tactic to try to pressure the hosts to cross the picket lines to return to work.  But that hasn't happened.

During the last major Hollywood work stoppage in 1988, which dragged on for five months, NBC's late-night host, Johnny Carson, eventually returned to his show.  This time around, none of the comedians have broken ranks. Late-night hosts at the networks, including ABC and CBS, have stopped working in solidarity with the writers.

This afternoon, an NBC spokeswoman confirmed that NBC had extended the deadline and that workers of the three NBC late-night shows would not be let go this week.  "The nonwriting staffs of these shows will continue to receive their full salaries for at least two more weeks," a network spokeswoman said. And what happens if the shows are not back into production by Nov. 30?

"It will be reviewed at that time," the spokewoman said.

More news on the strike

--Meg James

 
Comments () | Archives (2)

I just read an article in the LAT about the directors' negotiation with the studios and this little quote caught my attention.

"Directors hope writers resolve their dispute first, letting them set the template for contracts that they and actors could subsequently adopt."

I know nothing about running a studio, but I know a thing or two about economics and this quote tells me that the studio heads would need to lose their minds before they agree to the WGA contracts.

If they give the WGA what it is asking for, they are setting themselves up to having every union under the sun asking for terms that would be detrimental to their bottom line. If they were to give the WGA what they need, then the DGA would strike asking for similar terms, followed by the SAG(which is hogging all the revenue on every movie.)

This strike is going to end alright, but on the studios' terms, not the writers. Sorry guys but I see many of you filing for welfare in the very near future.

They can stay on strike forever as far as I am concerned. I watch DVD's of Perry Mason, Dragnet, and Beverly Hillbillies. Even after all these years and having seen them many times, they are more entertaining than the stuff the striking writers have been turning out.


Advertisement
Connect

Recommended on Facebook



In Case You Missed It...

Video





Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories

Shows


Archives
 



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: