Nation Now

The latest from the National desk

« Previous Post | Nation Now Home | Next Post »

Lone killer suspected in New York serial killings

November 30, 2011 |  2:49 pm

Jane doe 6 

Suffolk County police now believe that one person, rather than multiple killers, is responsible for leaving up to 10 bodies along barrier beaches in Long Island, N.Y.

In a series of interviews timed to the anniversary of the discovery of the first body on Dec. 11, 2010, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer said detectives no longer think that several killers were involved. Previously, officials had indicated that as many as three killers may have been responsible.

Dormer outlined officials’ latest thinking in interviews with Newsday, ABC News and the Associated Press.

The bodies of young women, a male transvestite and a toddler were dumped along Long Island's South Shore from 1996 to 2010, officials have said. All of the bodies were wrapped in burlap.

Most of the victims are believed to be prostitutes who advertised on Craigslist. But one victim was a girl, between 18 and 24 months old, who has been linked to one of the adult victims by genetic testing.

The investigation began as a hunt for a New Jersey prostitute, Shannan Gilbert. She is still missing and presumed dead.

Gilbert’s DNA does not match any of the recovered remains of the 10 bodies.

ALSO:

Classmates of New York teen become pepper-spray target

Now in court: Student wants to conduct anti-gay counseling

Arizona gun club offers photo with Santa and his machine guns

 --Michael Muskal

Photos: Sketches show an unidentified woman, whose body was one of 10 found on Long Island since last December. Credit: Reuters / Courtesy of Suffolk County Police

 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video