Carson City IHOP will reopen after fatal shootings
The IHOP in Carson City, Nev., where a mentally troubled gunman shot to death four people before killing himself plans to reopen in the coming weeks.
"The Carson City IHOP will reopen, we hope, in time for the holidays," a company spokeswoman told the Nevada Appeal. "We look forward, with gratitude, to serving the community once again," she added.
Since the Sept. 6 rampage, which also wounded seven people, the restaurant has served as a memorial while the community debated its future. Shooting survivor Kevin Carrick, for one, had opposed the restaurant reopening in the same location.
“I understand their position,” he told the Appeal when informed of IHOP’s plans. “I think if I was a business owner, I'd do my best to reopen my business. But, gosh — the only thing I'm bothered by is that people died in that place. I don't know how they are going to rearrange it so you're not sitting where people were shot.”
Gunman Eduardo Sencion, who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia, unloaded about 60 rounds from a Norinco Mak 90 assault rifle in the crowded IHOP. Three of the four people killed were uniformed National Guard members, though authorities have concluded Sencion was not targeting them.
Sencion’s Chinese-made rifle, which he’d purchased from a private party in California about five years ago, had been changed from a semi-automatic to an automatic weapon, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported. Authorities are investigating who made the illegal modifications.
--Ashley Powers in Las Vegas
Photo: A U.S. flag made of carnations rests in front of the IHOP Restaurant in Carson City, Nev., last month. Credit: Rick Roach / The Reporter