Brandy and Monica plot 'The Boy Is Mine' follow-up
Brandy and Monica team for new duet "It All Belongs to Me” nearly 14 years after their Grammy Award-winning chart-topper “The Boy Is Mine.”
Nearly 14 years after the success of their chart-topping duet “The Boy Is Mine,” R&B divas Brandy and Monica have reunited for another duet that is set to appear on their upcoming albums.
Fans of the two have been calling for a follow-up for years and speculation of an impending reunion was fueled when Brandy inked a new deal with RCA Records, making the two longtime friends label-mates. But a series of tweets featuring photos of them in the studio alongside hit songwriter-producer Rico Love (Kelly Rowland, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Beyonce, Chris Brown) set their fans abuzz last week.
The new single, "It All Belongs to Me,” will debut Feb. 6, their label announced Tuesday. The track, written and produced by Love, will appear on Monica's upcoming disc, “New Life,” set for release March 6, and Brandy's yet-to-be titled RCA debut album, which the singer said will hit stores in the spring.
Love told R&B/hip-hop blog Rap-Up that fans can expect a “a very soulful R&B song with pop sensibilities.”
When they debuted their sassy “The Boy Is Mine” in 1998, the song climbed to No. 1 on the Hot 100 where it stayed for 13 weeks. The Rodney Jerkins- and Dallas Austin-produced single sold 2.5 million copies that year, making it the bestselling song of 1998 in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. “The Boy Is Mine” also yielded their first Grammy when it won a trophy for best R&B performance by a duo or group. The song also got the "Glee" treatment last season.
In the event the new duet takes off as “The Boy Is Mine” did (relive the diva show, below), here’s hoping the two embark on a joint tour -- it only makes sense.
-- Gerrick D. Kennedy
Photos: Left, "The Boy Is Mine" single cover. Credit: Courtesy of Atlantic Records. Brandy and Monica in the studio. Credit: Monica's Twitter.