Radiohead to release new 'newspaper album,' 'The King of Limbs,' on Saturday [Updated]
And then, out of the blue, a new Radiohead album arrives. It's called "The King of Limbs," and the band has launched a website of the same name to feed its hungry fans the music and the information. Details, according to the site:
Newspaper Album - PRESALE
Radiohead's new record, The King Of Limbs, is presented here as the world's first* Newspaper Album, comprising:
* Two clear 10" vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
* A compact disc.
* Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
* The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
* The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
* Shipping is included in the prices shown.
* One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12" vinyl.
The price? $48 for the newspaper album and MP3 files; and $53 for the album and .wav files. Brace yourself for a new round of "Radiohead continues to transform the music business" stories.
[Updated: As a few commenters so kindly pointed out, we neglected to mention that a $9 MP3 version and a $14 .wav file of "The King of Limbs" will be available for download on Saturday for those who preorder.]
-- Randall Roberts