Teenage girl dies of suspected drug overdose after attending Electric Daisy Carnival
Rong-Gong Lin II on the Times' L.A. Now reports:
A 15-year-old girl has died of a suspected drug overdose after attending a rave over the weekend at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, a hospital official said Tuesday.
The girl was one of two rave attendees who were in critical condition at California Hospital Medical Center after the 14th annual Electric Daisy Carnival. According to the event's website, guests had to be at least 16 to attend, raising questions about how the girl gained admission.
She and the other critically ill patient had been taken to the downtown Los Angeles hospital by ambulance directly from the venue, officials said. Both were treated for drug intoxication in the intensive care unit.
“She came in as an emergency patient from the rave. She was in respiratory arrest when she got here and she never recovered,” said Katreena Salgado, a spokeswoman for the hospital.
Salgado said the 15-year old girl arrived non-responsive and never woke up. She died shortly before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
A full determination of the drugs in the dead teen's system will not be known until an autopsy and toxicology tests are completed.