Chris Brown removes himself from kids' awards as public comment intensifies
Talk show hosts speak out. Colleagues speak up. In the midst of it all, the singer has withdrawn himself from the Kids' Choice Awards.
Chris Brown, who is facing felony charges for allegedly attacking his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, withdrew Wednesday from Nickelodeon's hugely popular Kids' Choice Awards.
The pullout further fuels an escalating public relations fire around the 19-year-old singer, who has become a renewed target of outrage, particularly among daytime talk show hosts, since the release of court papers last week that said the R&B singer punched, bit and choked his girlfriend after an exclusive pre-Grammys party on Feb. 8.
The departure spared cable's Nickelodeon, built on such kid-friendly rating successes as "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "iCarly," more embarrassment as pressure mounted from parents' groups this week to have the singer removed from the prestigious list of nominees, which also included Jack Black, Reese Witherspoon and Brown's 21-year-old girlfriend, Rihanna.
Last week, a Superior Court judge postponed Brown's arraignment until next month. The Virginia native, who is charged with assault and making criminal threats, faces a maximum sentence of nearly five years in prison if convicted.
Even as late as Tuesday, Nickelodeon officials had said they would not turn away Brown from the March 28 awards ceremony, which is as famous for attracting A-list celebrities as for dropping green slime on them.
The 19-year-old was nominated by kids' votes several months ago in the categories for favorite male singer and favorite song.
"Chris very much appreciates the support of his fans and the honor they have paid him in the way of nominations," said a posting on the singer's website. "Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding the incident last month has shifted the focus from the music to whether he should be allowed to be among those nominated.
Photo credit: AP