Dimension confirms it will again scream with Craven
Last month, our colleagues over at Hero Complex broke the story that Wes Craven would be back to direct "Scream 4," a reboot of sorts that would bring Neve Campbell and Courteney Cox back from the original and pair them with a group of new actors.
Craven later tweeted that nothing was finalized on the project, but today, Dimension Films confirms that there will be a movie, that Craven will shoot it beginning in May, and that it will be based on a script from Kevin Williamson, the wunderkind who of course penned the original. "Kevin is right on his game with the new script -- the characters and story crackle with energy and originality -- to say nothing of some of the most hair-raising scares I've seen in a script since... well, since the original 'Scream' series," Craven, who directed the first three, said in a statement.
The movie is expected to be a reboot of sorts that could potentially spawn a new trilogy. The most recent 'Scream' came out in 2000, and despite the potential for box office to drop as a franchise fades, 'Scream' stayed remarkably consistent over its life from 1996 to 2000. All three movies earned between $150 million and $175 million worldwide.
Dimension said it is slating the new movie for an April 15, 2011, release, though Weinstein Co. release dates get offed as often as the virgin dies in a horror film, so maybe don't book that babysitter just yet.
One interesting side note: The announcement comes as a remake of another meta-horror comedy, "Fright Night," dubbed by some the original "Scream," moves closer to production with the hiring of director Craig Gillespie. That could create a race to production that would have both parties moving faster than if they saw, well, a hooded slasher.
Photo: Neve Campbell and Courteney Cox in "Scream." Credit: Kimberly Wright
RECENT AND RELATED: