Money & Company

Tracking the market and economic trends
that shape your finances.

« Previous Post | Money & Company Home | Next Post »

Ask Laz: Settling disagreements over inherited property [Video]

December 6, 2011 | 12:11 pm

Death can sometimes lead to a house divided.

So is the case for KTLA-TV viewer Don, whose sister died and left her house to him, his brother and their mother.

They don't agree about what to do with the property. He wants to rent it out and his brother and mom want to use it as a family getaway.

Can he sell his third to them -- and what if they don't want to buy it? 

Los Angeles Times consumer columnist David Lazarus says Don has some options. Among them is to file in court a petition for partition. David explains what that entails in the video below. 


You can catch him on KTLA (Channel 5) weekday mornings and during the 1 p.m. newscast. 

If you have a question, write or send a video to He just might tackle your issue on television.


California, Nevada team up to investigate foreclosure fraud

Consumer Confidential: Drug prices, Google Wallet, paper towels

Freddie Mac: Mortgage rates stuck in low at 4%

-- Michelle Maltais